Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Saudi women are campaigning online against their own "enslavement"

Farah, 31, has an American passport. She was born in Ohio, but her family returned to Saudi Arabia when she was six.

“I have lived the most miserable days of my life here in Saudi Arabia,” she said, telling me that first her father forbade her from becoming a doctor – he didn’t think it was a suitable career for a woman – and then he wouldn’t let her study law because she needed to travel to a school in another city.

In 2006, Farah met a foreign man and fell in love. She wanted to marry him, but her family disapproved. Her parents beat her, snapped her mobile phone in two, and imprisoned her in the house for six months. The Saudi state does not allow women or girls to travel abroad without permission from their male guardian — in this case, Farah’s father.

“I'm tired of my life and I think a lot of suicide,” she said. “I have suffered all kinds of torture from my family.” Full story...

Related posts:
  1. UK 21-yo girl reportedly caged in S. Arabia for kissing a boy, claims beaten...
  2. Woman drowns in Dubai after father refuses to let lifeguards ‘touch & dishonor her’
  3. 7 shocking facts about Saudi Arabia under ‘modernizing’ reign of King Abdullah...
  4. Saudi human rights activist fined for driving herself to the hospital...
  5. Saudi Arabia: ‘No ambulance service for woman living by herself’
  6. Why the US is ignoring four Saudi princesses being starved to death...
  7. Who’s a dinosaur?

No comments:

Post a Comment