Monday, December 08, 2014

Make in India? Okay, first sort out visas...

India is a country I know reasonably well. Although I have never lived there, I have been visiting regularly since 1960. Also, a quite high proportion of my closest friends are Indians, whether they still live there or are members of the extensive Indian diaspora.

I have also worked with various Indian institutions, including academia, NGOs, business and government. Finally, I have quite a fascination for Indian culture – perhaps 30% or more of my readings of contemporary literature are Indian authors.

In short, fundamentally I have great affection – and, in many respects, admiration for India.

I realize, of course, that India has its faults. Some are quite serious: The injustice of the caste system, violence against women, widespread corruption, terrible infrastructure, high and unacceptable levels of poverty, shocking rates of illiteracy. There are more illiterate women in India than in the rest of the world combined.

All this by way of preface to say that what follows is going to be considered by some as quite critical. However, as I know many Indians themselves will agree, this is also an incredibly frustrating society. After all, they are the ones to experience most of the first-hand fallout from that in their daily lives. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. India launches new visa rules to boost tourism...
  2. Why do so few tourists visit "Incredible India?"
  3. Democracy in India, democracy in Switzerland...
  4. India 94th on corruption index, Afghanistan most corrupt...
  5. Jawaharlal Nehru 'would be ashamed of today's greedy, corrupt India'

No comments:

Post a Comment