Sunday, December 01, 2013

Life in Gaza: ‘We wake up to terrifying sonic booms and try to sleep while Israelis are shelling’

I was thinking about how I would start to write about life in Gaza – how I would lay the words out with eloquence – when suddenly an explosion boomed close by and those thoughts fled my mind.

I didn’t know the source; maybe it was internal training or perhaps another air strike. Movement and horns stopped on the street below, a brief pause to make sure it wasn’t anyone close that was hit, then movement resumed. My heart is still pounding and my mind racing and, like every other woman in Gaza, I say a quick prayer of thanks that my family is near and safe and hope no one was hurt.

My husband lights a cigarette in the next room while reports come in that it was an “internal” explosion from training. Either way I guess it doesn’t really matter, it is just enough to remind us nothing in Gaza is ever normal.

I like to stand out on my balcony in the wee hours of the morning just before the call to prayer. Everything is so silent and still and the stars above are so close you can touch them. It is easy to forget in those few minutes where I am, so easy to forget the challenges that plague our daily life.

The UN issued a report last week saying Gaza is becoming uninhabitable and the humanitarian conditions are deteriorating – sadly that is true. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Human tragedy unfolds as Gaza runs on empty...
  2. Jerusalem: Family‘s home demolished, now living in cave...
  3. Demolition in the desert: Israel destroys Bedouin village for 54th time...
  4. Bullet in the head, a Palestinian tale...
  5. How Israel is squeezing the Palestinians out of their land...
  6. Australia MPs: Gaza is world's largest outdoor jail...

No comments:

Post a Comment