Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The attempt to destroy the individual...

(...)

But that was only a movie. Who cares about that? You go into a theater, sit there in the dark for a couple of hours, walk out, and think about something else.

For several years now, I’ve been writing about the decline of the individual. The wipeout.

Every time I write an article on this subject, I receive suggestions. I should go back and re-read Marx. I need to understand the difference between “communal, communitarian, community, communist.” I should research worker-owned businesses. What about trans-substantial transpersonal sub-brain algorithmic psychology? How about the pygmies? Ego? Superego? Id?

I appreciate these and other remarks, but I’m talking about the individual, about Self, beyond any construct, beyond citizenship, beyond membership, beyond sociology or anthropology or archeology.

The individual is enshrined in various political documents, but his rights don’t originate there. Neither does courage nor imagination. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Whitman: Song of Myself...
  2. Whitman: To a pupil...
  3. Whitman: Resist much, obey little...
  4. Whitman: I think I could turn and live with animals...
  5. I'm a human being; my life has value...
  6. The war against Bradley Manning: a war against all who speak out...
  7.  American hermit turns down marriage and bail offers.
  8. I want to be alone: the rise and rise of solo living...

No comments:

Post a Comment