Saturday, December 24, 2011

Young Europeans flock to Argentina for job opportunities...

The newly elected prime minister of Spain, Mariano Rajoy, caused a minor scandal during his electoral campaign earlier this year when he claimed that "1,200 young Spaniards are emigrating to Argentina each month" due to his country's economic crisis.

Rajoy's claim was probably exaggerated, but the mass arrival of young Europeans is nonetheless clearly evident in the streets of Buenos Aires today.

Most of them come from Spain and Italy but some are from Britain.

"There've been evenings in Buenos Aires coming home on the underground where I ride listening to English conversations on the train," says 28-year-old former London stockbroker Jeremy Hanson, who moved here two years ago. "Then I get off at Carranza station and I come up the stairs and there are people ahead of me speaking English and then I'm walking down Campos Avenue to my apartment and there are people walking towards me and as they pass they're English too." Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Europeans pack their bags for greener pastures as crisis worsens...
  2. Immigrant workers leave struggling Spain...
  3. This is the truth: great commercial by argentinian candidate...
  4. “I’m not happy paying taxes to a corrupt state” (A Swiss look at Greece)
  5. New generations in Europe tipping into homelessness...
  6. Number of homeless people rises by 17% in Britain...
  7. The EU dream has turned into a nightmare...

No comments:

Post a Comment