Sunday, September 04, 2011

Meet the first woman in India to own a Harley-Davidson...



I was 12 or 13 when I started riding bikes. I used to take my dad’s old two-wheeler out around the neighbourhood. That was long before I got a licence, but my dad knew that I was a safe rider. All the tom-boyish kids I knew were getting their wheels pretty quickly. It wasn’t until my early twenties that I got serious about riding though. I’d gone into human resources after university, and was working for a multinational investment company in Bangalore. I started riding my husband’s bike, a Yamaha Rajdoot 350, to work.

I could have just taken the bus; my office has an official bus that picks up employees from home. But I found that boring: just sitting in a bus, going to and from work at set times. Traffic in Bangalore is terrible and I was often on the road for three hours a day. I preferred to ride, and my husband wasn’t using his bike much anyway. If I hadn’t taken it out, it would have sat in the garage.

(...)

As soon as the bike arrived in June, I became a celebrity – I was on the national news in India, in the daily papers and on TV. They told me: you’re the first woman in India to own a Harley! I had no idea. Now, every time I stop at a traffic signal, people surround me. Sometimes they get really close; they want to check the bike’s mileage or ask if it’s hard to handle. Friends want me to visit their offices with the bike, so they can prove to their colleagues that they know me. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. 4-year-old Indian girl riding a bike like a pro...
  2. Indonesian chick in crazy bike stunt... 
  3. Meet Nora Naraghi, Iran's female motocross champion!!!
  4. Four girls yearn to become South Sudan's first female motor mechanics!
  5. Midwives on motorbikes spread sex sense in Cambodia...
  6. Let's ride motorcycles! Wow!
  7. Hamas bans women on motor-bikes in Gaza... 

No comments:

Post a Comment