Sunday, September 28, 2008

China in Africa; certainly NOT a love affair...

I think I am probably going to die any minute now. An inflamed, deceived mob of about 50 desperate men are crowding round the car, some trying to turn it over, others beating at it with large rocks, all yelling insults and curses. 

They have just started to smash the windows. Next, they will pull us out and, well, let's not think about that ... 

I am trying not to meet their eyes, but they are staring at me and my companions with rage and hatred such as I haven't seen in a human face before. Those companions, Barbara Jones and Richard van Ryneveld, are - like me - quite helpless in the back seats. 

If we get out, we will certainly be beaten to death. If we stay where we are, we will probably be beaten to death. 

Our two African companions have - crazily in our view - got out of the car to try to reason with the crowd. It is clear to us that you might as well preach non-violence to a tornado. 

At last, after what must have been about 40 seconds but that felt like half an hour, one of the pair saw sense, leapt back into the car and reversed wildly down the rocky, dusty path - leaving his friend behind. More...

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment